Quarterly report pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d)

Note 2 - Risks and Uncertainties

Note 2 - Risks and Uncertainties
3 Months Ended
Mar. 31, 2023
Notes to Financial Statements  
Unusual Risks and Uncertainties [Table Text Block]


Risks and Uncertainties


DiaMedica operates in a highly regulated and competitive environment. The development, manufacturing and marketing of pharmaceutical products require approval from, and are subject to ongoing oversight by, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in the European Union and comparable agencies in other countries. We are in the clinical stage of development of our initial product candidate, DM199, for the treatment of AIS and CKD. The Company has not completed the development of any product candidate and does not generate any revenues from the commercial sale of any product candidate. DM199 requires significant additional clinical testing and investment prior to seeking marketing approval and is not expected to be commercially available for at least three years, if at all.


On July 6, 2022, we announced that the FDA placed a clinical hold on the investigational new drug application (IND) for our Phase 2/3 ReMEDy2 trial. The clinical hold was issued following us voluntarily pausing participant enrollment in the trial to investigate three unexpected instances of clinically significant hypotension (low blood pressure) occurring shortly after initiation of the intravenous (IV) dose of DM199.  In September 2022 we submitted our analysis of the events leading to and causing the hypotensive events, and proposed protocol modifications to address the mitigation of these events for future trial participants. Following review of this analysis, the FDA informed us that they were continuing the clinical hold and requesting, among other items, an additional in-use in vitro stability study of the IV administration of DM199, which includes testing the combination of the IV bag, IV tubing and mechanical infusion pump, to further rule out any other cause of the hypotension events. The requested in-use study has been completed at an independent laboratory and the results were substantially consistent with our earlier testing of the IV bags. These additional supporting data will be submitted to the FDA to provide further evidence to potentially enable lifting of the clinical hold as outlined in the prior FDA complete response letter.


However, there can be no assurance that the FDA will lift the clinical hold on a timely basis or at all. It is also possible that the FDA may make additional requests that we would need to fulfill prior to the lifting of the clinical hold, such as requiring us to complete additional clinical testing or imposing stricter approval conditions than we proposed for our DM199 product candidate. We may not enroll any additional participants in the ReMEDy2 trial until the FDA notifies us that the FDA has lifted the clinical hold and we may resume enrollment in the clinical trial.


Prior to voluntarily halting enrollment, we had experienced slower than expected site activations and enrollment in our ReMEDy2 trial and may continue to experience these conditions if and when we are able to resume enrollment. We believe this was due to a number of factors, including the reduction or suspension of research activities at our current and targeted clinical study sites, as well as staffing shortages, due to COVID-19 and concerns managing logistics and protocol compliance for participants discharged from the hospital into an intermediate care facility. We intend to continue to take certain actions, including bringing certain site engagement responsibilities in-house and engaging a clinical services consulting firm to provide staff support to study sites as needed, to assist study sites in overcoming these issues, if and when we resume enrollment in the ReMEDy2 trial, however no assurances can be provided as to if and when these issues will resolve.


Our future success is dependent upon the success of our development efforts, our ability to demonstrate clinical progress for our DM199 product candidate in the United States or other markets, our ability, or the ability of any future partner, to obtain required governmental approvals of our product candidate, our ability to license or market and sell our DM199 product candidate and our ability to obtain additional financing to fund these efforts.


As of March 31, 2023, we have incurred losses of $101.4 million since our inception in 2000. For the three months ended March 31, 2023, we incurred a net loss of $5.3 million and negative cash flows from operating activities of $5.1 million. We expect to continue to incur operating losses until such time as any future product sales, licensing fees, milestone payments and/or royalty payments generate revenue sufficient to fund our continuing operations. For the foreseeable future, we expect to incur significant operating losses as we continue the development and clinical study of, and to seek regulatory approval for, our DM199 product candidate. As of March 31, 2023, we had combined cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $28.7 million, working capital of $26.9 million and shareholders’ equity of $27.0 million. Our principal source of cash has been net proceeds from the issuance of equity securities. Although the Company has previously been successful in obtaining financing through equity securities offerings, there is no assurance that we will be able to do so in the future. This is particularly true if we are unable to resolve the clinical hold on the IND for our ReMEDy2 trial, if our clinical data is not positive, or if economic and market conditions do not improve or further deteriorate.


We expect that we will need substantial additional capital to further our research and development activities, complete the required clinical studies, regulatory activities and manufacturing development for our product candidate, DM199, or any future product candidates, to a point where they may be licensed or commercially sold. We expect our current cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities to fund our planned operations for at least the next 12 months from the date of issuance of these condensed consolidated financial statements. The amount and timing of our future funding requirements will depend on many factors, including our ability and timing to release the clinical hold on the IND for our ReMEDy2 trial, the timing and results of our ongoing development efforts, including the duration of the current clinical hold, the rate of site activation and enrollment in our clinical study, the potential expansion of our current development programs, potential new development programs, the effects of COVID-19, staffing shortages and other factors on our clinical trials and our operating expenses. We may require significant additional funds earlier than we currently expect and there is no assurance that we will not need or seek additional funding prior to such time, especially if market conditions for raising capital are favorable.